Back to Site
0 items » view cart

Barnsley Main Colliery by Theo Simpson

Barnsley Main Colliery by Theo Simpson

£30.00

700 x 480mm
Single Colour Offset Print
Edition of 50

Recently awarded Grade II* Listing, the pithead and engine house was built circa 1900, and modernised by the Coal Board in 1956. During its operational life, the colliery took over the workings of the local Oaks Colliery, the site of England’s worst mining accident in which 361 men and boys lost their lives. The colliery opened and closed many times during the twentieth century, closing for the last time in 1991. Once common structures across the country’s hundreds of pits, very few pitheads now remain.

  • Image of Barnsley Main Colliery by Theo Simpson
  Pin It  
Powered by Big Cartel